First time visitor? You can find an introduction to my blog here.

Feb 11, 2012

Who Do You Think You Are?

"Who do you think you are?" sneers the nasty voice inside my head. The internal interrogation begins each time I feel called to something that stretches me beyond what comes easy. Bent on self-preservation and obsessed with self-image, the voice knows my fears and insecurities and uses that advantage to craft a most convincing argument.

Sometimes, it insinuates I am ill-equipped for the task, insisting that whatever resources I have—be they talent, time, energy, or determination—my supply is insufficient. If that tack is unsuccessful, the voice will accuse me of delusion or pride and attempt to shame me into submission. The final arrow in the voice’s quiver is a devastating list of past failures and sins that disqualify me for service to a holy and perfect God.

The voice is a bully and a distraction, and the only way I can quell it is to answer it.

Who am I? A mere woman. One who is flawed and sinful. I am often overwhelmed, easily tempted, and prone to wander and grumble. I am frequently anxious, uncertain, and unsteady. I am wary of rejection and failure and inclined to quit. I am vulnerable, weak, wavering, and broken. Whatever else I may be, I am all of these things. To claim otherwise is an exercise in pompous denial.

But in Christ, I am also forgiven, accepted and beloved. I am fearfully and wonderfully made, gifted by my Creator, and equipped for service. I am made whole, set apart, and more than a conqueror. I am member of a royal priesthood and a pupil of the Holy Spirit. And though I frequently falter, I am assured that nothing can separate me from God’s love.

At my best, I am a woman of limitations, but I serve an inexhaustible God who is not hindered by my inadequacies and whose love is not contingent on my performance. Each nudge to step out in faith is a call to set aside the idols of comfort, pride, and self-preservation and put my trust in Him. If I succumb to the voice, I risk doing only those things that come easy, and that is a meager offering to the One who gave all for me.

What has God called you to that stretched you beyond your comfort level? How did you respond?

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline." -2 Timothy 1:7

Psalm 139:14, Ephesians 2:10, Hebrews 13:21, Romans 8:37, 2 Peter 2:9, John 14:26, 2 Corinthians 12:9, 2 Corinthians 4:7, Psalm 20:7, 2 Timothy 1:7

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. It was an encouragement today.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete