First time visitor? You can find an introduction to my blog here.

Apr 18, 2012

A "Good Day" vs. A "God Day"

I’m pretty sure the first thing I do every morning  is sin. At least on the days that are heralded in by that incessant beeping. In those first few seconds of consciousness, I am filled with contempt for the new day God has created. I usually take it out on my alarm clock. Wrapped in my cocoon of comfort, I want nothing more than to wallow in self-indulgence indefinitely. Since asking God to turn back time a few hours is futile (I know, because I’ve asked), I begrudgingly drag myself out of bed and often settle instead for asking for a “good day.”

I’m ashamed to admit what I mean by a “good day” in those first few minutes, when my selfishness is at its peak. In those earliest moments, a “good day” is a day that is easy, safe, and comfortable. A day free of conflict, hassles, hurdles, opposition, and surprises (well, good surprises would be okay).

Reality intrudes upon this fantasy pretty quickly, however, and by the time I’m ready to head out the door, my attitude has changed. As I charge into my day, I start making mental notes about what needs to be done and what I want to accomplish. By the time I get to work, I’ve honed my plan of attack, and I jump headlong into the day’s tasks. In the midst of a busy day, I don’t really have time to think about defining a “good day,” but if asked, a large part of my answer would revolve around everything going as planned and my ability to complete everything on my list with minimal interruptions and inconveniences.

God rarely (if ever) grants me those kinds of days, and I'm thankful for that. There is no goodness apart from God, and when I step back and reflect on His perfect providence, I realize what I really want is a "God day." A day that is less about my goals and more about His glory. Less about my comfort, and more about trusting that His grace is sufficient for me. Less about my schedule and more about His eternal vision. A day that is less about what is easy for me and more about what is best for me.

To have a "God day," I must be willing to set aside or adapt my plans as His perfect plan unfolds. That doesn't necessarily mean I'll have to, but it does mean that I sometimes won't get what I want. It means that I will sometimes face difficulties, challenges, and hardship. But it also means that He has opportunities and experiences waiting for me that I can't begin to imagine…things I might miss on a "good day."

God cares about the minute details of every one of my days, but as He establishes His purposes and prepares me for His kingdom, my petty definitions of a "good day" are dwarfed by His plans. I am part of His plan, not the other way around, and though I may momentarily forget that truth as I paw at the alarm clock, I wouldn't want it any other way.

What is your vision of a "good day?" How does it differ from a "God day?"

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

1 comment:

  1. Tamra, you could publish a book. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete