First time visitor? You can find an introduction to my blog here.

Mar 10, 2012

How Much Jesus Do You Want?

As soon as I spied the enormous wafer among the smaller pieces in the communion plate, I knew which one my son would take. It was a good four of five times bigger than all the other pieces, and Zack didn't hesitate a moment before selecting the Saltine-sized representation of the broken body of his Savior.

I don't have any illusions regarding his motivation. I'm sure it was simple 10-year-old boy philosophy: why have a little when you can have a lot? However, in that moment, that simple philosophy begged the question, "how much Jesus do I want?"

Do I want just enough of the gospel to be comfortable, or does the reality of the gospel give me the strength to fearlessly follow Him, and persevere even when it's difficult? Do I want to chase after my own agenda and attempt to control everything, or do I trust Him enough to abide in Him and allow Him to work through me?

His sacrifice is more than enough to atone for my sin; will I withhold even one transgression from Him, for fear it is too great? Knowing He has conquered sin and death, will I allow myself to be deceived into thinking He is unable to meet my daily needs?

Am I content to get by with just nibbles of His word and bites of prayer, and wonder why I feel unsatisfied? Is it enough for me to squeeze Him into the leftover moments of my day, or do I want to offer each day up to Him? Having tasted His mercy, goodness, and grace, do I long to draw near to Him and know Him better?

There is no need for frugality when it comes to Christ. There is no scarcity of grace. He is more than a match for the deepest longings of our hearts. His love is lavish, and He is sovereign over all. His mercy springs from an inexhaustible well, and He will never refuse those who are His.

Why have a little when you can have a lot? A reasonable question. How foolish I am when I try to get by with just a little Jesus. How much Jesus do you want?

"...to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." -Ephesians 3:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment